Join the Vera Beta Program for Amazon Alexa to experience Vera's Native Skills Integration, supporting Climate, Lighting, and Scenes.
The Vera Beta Program allows users try out pre-release software. The feedback you provide on features, quality, and usability helps us identify issues, fix them, and improve the overall Vera user experience.
Please note that since the beta software has not yet been commercially released, it may contain bugs, errors, or technical inaccuracies. It may not function as well as General Availability Software Releases.
- An existing Vera account with at least one controller assigned to it.
- At least one lighting, or climate device paired to your Vera controller.
- An existing Amazon account with an Alexa device paired to it.
- Be sure that your Alexa device (Echo, Tap, or Dot) is powered on and connected to a Wi-Fi network with Internet access.
- Upgrade firmware to Version 7.0.20b (Release Notes)
- If existing beta participant, you must DISABLE previous version of the skill at on the Amazon Alexa App or Portal.
The Smart Home Skill API currently supports lights, switches, smart plugs and thermostats, including turning devices on and off, dimming lights, and thermostat controls. Today, you can:
- Turn your devices on or off: “Alexa, turn on/off the kitchen light.” or “Alexa, turn on/off the heat.”
- Turn your scenes on: "Alexa, turn on Good Night."
- Brighten or dim your lights: “Alexa, brighten the kitchen light.” or “Alexa, dim the kitchen light.”
- Set lights or temperature: “Alexa, set the kitchen light to 50%.” or “Alexa, set the heat to 72 degrees.”
- Increase or decrease temperature on thermostats: "Alexa, increase Living Room Thermostat by 5 degrees.” or “Alexa, decrease Living Room Thermostat by 5 degrees.”
- Upgrade firmware to Version 7.0.20b (Release Notes)
- To access the Amazon Alexa Beta, you must register at http://eepurl.com/co0Nur
- Within 48-72 hours, you will receive an email titled "Amazon Alexa Beta: Participation Confirmed".
- Go to http://alexa.amazon.com
- Login with Amazon Alexa account
- Note: If you do not have an Alexa device already added to your Amazon account, read and follow the Amazon Setup Guide (Echo Dot, Amazon Tap, or Amazon Echo), to assign the device to your Amazon Account.
- If you already have enabled the Vera Smart Home Skill, you must disable the old version of the skill.
- Go to the "Smart Home" tab.
- Click on "Disable" link next to the Vera Smarter Home Control skill.
- At the bottom of the page click on "Forget all devices and groups"
- In a new browser tab, open the "Amazon Alexa Beta: Participation Confirmed" email received from Vera, using the invite link.
- Click on the “Update Skill Now” button (for existing Alexa users), or the “Click here to enable skill” button (new Alexa users), from the participation email received.
- You will be redirected to https://alexa.getvera.com.
- Login with your Vera account credentials.
- Select the devices and scenes that you want to control with Alexa (after you select, you should see a green checkbox).
- (Optional) Next, you can assign custom device names for devices and scenes, to make it easier for Alexa to control specific devices using your voice. These Custom Names will be recognized only by Alexa.
- Device name in Vera apps: Ceiling lamp
- Room of device: Bedroom
- Custom name for Alexa: Lamp
- To turn on, say: “Alexa, turn on Lamp”
- Without Custom name: “Alexa, turn on Bedroom Ceiling Lamp”
- In your Vera Apps the device will keep the “Bedroom Ceiling Lamp” name
- If you change the name of the device in your Vera Apps, the Custom Name for Alexa will NOT change.
- If the custom name is not set, you can use the “Room Name + Device Name” when giving verbal commands to Alexa.
- Click on “Finish”
- You should see a success message: “Alexa has been successfully linked with Vera Smart Home.”
- The required plugin will be installed on your Vera controller.
- If the plugin does not install on the first try, please try again after one minute (the plugin installation time can vary based on your internet speed)
- Finally, you'll need to "Discover devices" on the Amazon Alexa App or Portal. Discovery begins by saying, "Discover devices," or by choosing Discover devices in the Alexa app. After a successful discovery, you can then control the device with your voice.
Please Note: Device discovery is required before you can use the devices from the Smart Home Skill.
Adding or Updating Devices
Should you add or update devices on your controller, you'll need to revisit the Alexa Portal by reclicking the "Enable Skill" link in your "Amazon Alexa Beta: Participation Confirmed" email and then select your new devices to be controlled by Alexa.
- When installing the Alexa plugin, it will be installed on all online controllers. [FIXED 02.02.2017]
- Sometimes scenes might not be discovered or Alexa Device Discovery might take a longer time until the user edits a Scene
- Workaround: Edit one of the scenes on your controller to trigger the resync.
- The redirect from Amazon following the login from the beta skill sometimes results in a blank page - this has been reported to the Amazon team.
- Workaround: First log into alexa.amazon.com and then click on the invite link form the “Amazon Alexa Beta: Participation Confirmed" email.
Please submit feedback via the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org.