Each device must first be added to your Vera System in order for it to be recognized and controlled. This process is what is meant by Adding Devices. Technically, when you add a device, you are establishing a communications link between the Device and your Vera controller.
- How to pair Z-wave devices with your Vera unit
1. From your Vera's Dashboard, go to Devices > Add devices and select or search the name or type of device that you wish to pair with Vera
2. Suppose you wish to add a Jasco ZB4001 in-wall dimmer. Use the search box and search for the model name "ZB4001," choose the found model, and press Next
3. When instructed, pair the Jasco Dimmer doing the pairing pattern as described in your dimmer's user manual. In this case, you would need to connect the Jasco Dimmer to a power source and Vera will pick it up automatically
4. Choose your desired device name, select your Room, and press Finish or Add Another Device
5. Your device is now paired with Vera. Return to your controller's dashboard and notice the freshly added Jasco dimmer listed under the previously selected Room
Each device in the Vera system must communicate wirelessly with the controller, which acts as a central hub. In order for the process to be successful, the device must already be set up to communicate with the controller, so that the devices can recognize each other using wireless signals.
Many devices use the Zigbee protocol for wireless communications, while others use the Wi-Fi protocol. For Zigbee, the process of establishing a link is called "pairing" or "including." For security reasons, the range for pairing is sometimes deliberately limited to about 3-feet (approx. 1 meter) between the device and the controller. After pairing, the actual working range for all Zigbee devices is about 30-feet, but it really depends on the materials in the way. Of course, it is possible to extend the range by adding a repeater. Sometimes, you may need to bring the device to within 3-feet of the controller.